Friday 28 March 2008

The first ever cardigan



OK - so I can't resist telling you about the first ever cardigan i knitted. I decided to knit it when I was pregnant, having previously only ever knitted scarves or blankets (that began their life as a scarf and ended up as a blanket, but that is a whole other story and if I ever get the photo of it I will definitely post it). Anyway - it was supposed to be a white cardigan, for a newborn baby...my daughter is now over 2 and can just about wear it! I knew very little about babies when I knitted it (as you can tell), so just to illustrate what size I thought the baby might be (according to my knitting at least) when it came out, I have put it next to one of her dolls....
At least it has lasted 2 years already and I bet we can get another year's wear out of it! I made up the stripes myself from lots of different bits of wool I pinched off my mother, and I knitted it with needles that were too big f0r the wool...hence its quite holey! But, other than that - its not too bad for a first attempt - methinks! Enjoy!

2 comments:

-A said...

Fantastic! At least it looks lovely and the mouse has something to look forward to growing into! :)

I had a similar issue. I knit a cardi for a coworker who was having a baby. Her 4 year old daughter loved it since she could fit into it just fine. Of course, the sleeves then were a bit more 3/4 as opposed to full. But, she wasn't really fussed. I, of course, felt totally silly giving a baby gift that wouldn't be useful for 3-4 years! :)

LinDragon said...

This is a joyous creation.It is lovely and soft, and will be a dream to wear!